Forums » FPV Racing

FPV Racing 2015

• 6 posts
    April 4, 2015 9:03 AM BST

Weather is improving, time will fly , so should we.  Who is interested in getting things underway ? I can offer some time to FPVR helping to get things moving  , please comment.

• 5 posts
    April 4, 2015 9:21 AM BST
    Would love to get racing again. All I would say is that we should keep the courses simple so that it doesn't take forever to set up an take down. We only need two or three gates and about the same number of turning flags to make a decent course. There is no need to set out arrows either. Maybe just a couple on direction changes to point the way. In my view we have been making it way too complicated and unecessarily hard work.
    • 6 posts
    April 4, 2015 9:51 PM BST

Sure Andrew, Paul , Pete and myself were reviewing what we had done so far and yes a simpler course would be the next for us to try., we have plenty of gates spare to do whatever pilots want so lets try a simpler course. Pauls workload is high now for a couple of months so he will get involved when he can , he has however said carry on use the field , Sundays is nearly always a day of the week when there is no commercial use. This website has gone a bit quiet lately  so  I will contact people and drum up some interest and get things moving, getting them back on here much the easiest way to progress.

This post was edited by Derek Taylor at April 4, 2015 9:52 PM BST
    • 6 posts
    April 4, 2015 11:36 PM BST

Important we get a better protocol organised for :

1. Bands and video channels and separation in each race. 

2. Your views on Video Tx Power ?

( Question : we need to review our Vid Tx power to prevent swamping each other,  power limits to say 25 mWatts would we still be swamping each other ?

3. Perhaps we need to upgrade our arials where necessary , and use lower wattage Tx's

This post was edited by Derek Taylor at April 4, 2015 11:39 PM BST
    • 5 posts
    April 6, 2015 9:04 AM BST
    If possible the 'regulars' could have bands pre-allocated. On my system at least, changing frequencies is a pain as I have do take things apart to do it.

I think we should consider everyone changing to 25mw VTx. I don't know if it would solve all the problems, but for sure it should reduce them and we would be legal,, so would not have to worry about a visit from the Ofcom enforcement team.
    25mw is easily able to deliver 500m range with a cloverleaf/skew planar antenna.
    Cheers, Andrew
    • 5 posts
    April 6, 2015 9:11 AM BST
    Of, forgot to mention that ta other way of reducing adjacent band interference is to alternate between right and left hand polarised antenna. Take a look at the discussion here. There is a link to a frequency allocation spreadsheet which could be useful.
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2266883
    • 6 posts
    April 7, 2015 8:20 PM BST

Ok, Not sure I have enough understanding  to comment Andrew.  What is the 5.8 gHz bandwidth ( 5645 - 5945 GhHz ? ).    4 racers at a time,  I understand Left and right Polarised , there could be one of each ( for each system  in each race ) ?  so could we have 2 boscam and 2 fatshark each mfacturer with 40 mHz seperation., and operating Left and Right polarised arials. 

• 5 posts
    April 7, 2015 9:58 PM BST

The idea of course is to have sufficient frequency separation between racing pilots. You are right, the 5.8GHz band is made up of 'channels' from 5645 to 5945. Problem is that the Vtx does not broadcast pure on each of these channels, there is always some noise on adjacent channels. If pilots are using the same polarised antenna then the separation needs to be 40Mhz which means 4 at a time. If they are able to use alternating left and right hand polarised antenna the separation can be reduced to 20Mhz which means you can run with more pilots. Pilots are assigned (or put their names down) for specific frequencies at the beginning of the day of each racing heat. There also seems often to be tags printed out which can be attached to the transmitters - shades of 35Mhz! Here is an example.  Of course if we have the same people regularly flying at weekends then we could allow pilots to keep on the same frequency.

I am going to a race day in Northampton on Saturday. I will let you know how they approach the frequency allocation issue.

• 6 posts
    April 9, 2015 3:42 PM BST

Proves it can be done, you will see it in action at Northampton, after our first couple of race meetings in January the need for some pre meeting planning and organising of channels/frequencies is necessary to keep everyone happy , when its done once we would only ( hopefully ! ) have to organise newcomers in the future. Let us know what you think. Good luck in the racing !

• 5 posts
    May 1, 2015 12:56 AM BST

This video is a very comprehensive rundown of the factors involved in running an FPV race, 

https://youtu.be/gsdLa9aUaJs

This post was edited by Andrew Bailey at May 1, 2015 12:59 AM BST
    • 6 posts
    May 1, 2015 10:21 PM BST

Well looks as though you have explored it all Andrew, for several racers to race without interference  I would think most pilots would have to consider the possibility of some equipment change., not expensive bits like goggles though.

Not many pilots using this forum, alot to discuss, when I think back to the racing in January everyone who was there seemed to enjoy it . the only issue was frequency organisation.

Just depends on how formal / informal people want to be about FPVR , obviously there has to be some organising. Are there any other groups flying FPVR where you live Andrew ?